This video walks you through the quick, easy steps on how to make your own whole grain crackers. After you watch the video, you’ll be able to make these crackers yourself. The unique technique that I demonstrate is from my book, “Crunch! Whole Grain Artisan Chips and Crackers.” The book describes the technique but for many of us, being shown how to do something is a great way to learn.
The book has scores of recipes for chips and crackers — savory, sweet, spicy, nutty, seedy, and more — with ingredients including dozens of different whole grain and legume flours, almond flour, fresh lentils, split peas, and more. Here’s the recipe for the basic cracker I baked in this video:
The basic Alice cracker
300° F 30 minutes total baking time, scoring after 10 minutes
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds (or flax, poppy, white sesame, or chia seeds)
3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Mix dry ingredients very well, add water and mix well. Then immediately pour watery battery onto silicone mat, tilting pan, and using spatula to spread.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, score batter with spatula or fluted pastry cutter
- Return to 300° oven and bake another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn oven off, and wait 30 minutes before removing pan from oven.
- Check to see if crackers done; done crackers will not be moist, soft, or bend.
If crackers are not done, reset the oven to 250°, put the crackers back in the oven and after 5 minutes, turn the oven off, waiting 30 more minutes before opening it and taking the crackers out to see if they are now done.