Video: How to make your own whole grain crackers — Easy, healthy, and delicious

This video walks you through the quick, easy steps on how to make your own whole grain crackers.  After you watch the video, you’ll be able to make these crackers yourself.  The unique technique that I demonstrate is from my book, “Crunch! Whole Grain Artisan Chips and Crackers.”  The book describes the technique but for many of us, being shown how to do something is a great way to learn.

The book has scores of recipes for chips and crackers — savory, sweet, spicy, nutty, seedy, and more — with ingredients including dozens of different whole grain and legume flours, almond flour, fresh lentils, split peas, and more.  Here’s the recipe for the basic cracker I baked in this video:

The basic Alice cracker

300° F    30 minutes total baking time, scoring after 10 minutes

2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds  (or flax, poppy, white sesame, or chia seeds)
3/4  cup water

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 300° F.  Mix dry ingredients very well, add water and mix well.  Then immediately pour watery battery onto silicone mat, tilting pan, and using spatula to spread.
  2. Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven, score batter with spatula  or fluted pastry cutter
  4. Return to 300° oven and bake another 20 minutes.
  5. After 20 minutes, turn oven off, and wait 30 minutes before removing pan from oven.
  6. Check to see if crackers done; done crackers will not be moist, soft, or bend.

If crackers are not done, reset the oven to 250°, put the crackers back in the oven and after 5 minutes, turn the oven off, waiting 30 more minutes before opening it and taking the crackers out to see if they are now done.

About Alice

I've milled and baked with whole grains for many years, because whole grains are delicious, and white flour is missing the nutrition that protects you from cancer, stroke, heart disease, diabetes and many other diseases. Plus it's a good emergency food.
This entry was posted in 1) How to make a basic cracker, How To Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Video: How to make your own whole grain crackers — Easy, healthy, and delicious

1. Hi there.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Definitely will try it out.

2. Maggie says:

When you’ve got your basic grain mix do you grind it into flour and then use it? Or, do you have your whole wheat flour base, for example, and then add the whole grains? Thanks. I love this idea!!

• Alice says:

The whole grain mix with millet, buckwheat, quinoa, teff, and other grains that cook in 15 minutes or less can be put in WHOLE into crackers and other baked goods, OR ground into flour in a coffee mill, or better yet, flour mill, especially if you have celiac disease.

3. Mark W. says:

Instead of milling the beans, could you not used leftover cooked lentils, beans, rice etc.? I don’t have a mill but always have these available. Thanks. I am loving the book!

• Alice says:

That’s a great idea as long as the beans were ground up into a smooth paste in your blender or food processor, let me know if you come up with a recipe that works. Now I’m eater to try this – even with leftover stew with multiple ingredients…

4. leslie says:

Alice, will these work if I substitute Almond Flour? I’d like to substitute whole wheat flour for something different, and coconut flour was a disaster. My husband and I are loving your recipe, and I’ve had fun adding a variety of seeds, with Bragg’s seasonings, such as Nutritional Yeast. Thank you for your posts!

• Alice says:

I’ve never used coconut flour, but now I want to, I love experimenting.

There are some flours that are very crumbly and shouldn’t be mixed together. So a nut flour and a rice flour don’t work well together because the cracker isn’t hard enough, but it is a good idea to use a nut or rice flour with lentil, bean, or corn flour, to get a cracker not too crumbly or hard. Whole wheat and whole grain flour produce cracker with the right texture, but I usually do half whole wheat and half something else for even better nutrition. I also find that using an egg can make the corn chip recipe better, but adding egg adds to the cooking time (as does using masa harina corn flour which makes an even better corn chip than plain corn flour)