This is a Universal Artichoke Dip recipe where I’ve culled ingredients used from dozens of recipes so you can make up your own recipe with what you’ve got in your pantry and refrigerator.
I’ve listed ingredients by how frequently you see them in artichoke dip recipes.
Obviously you don’t want to use all of the ingredients!
Artichoke dips are served warm or hot.
You can use frozen or canned artichokes in oil or water.
Some recipes call for ingredients to be finely chopped, others puree all or some of the ingredients. It’s your choice.
The amounts range a lot because it depends on how much you want to make, and how healthy you want to make it (less dairy & more spices, vegetables, etc)
Frozen or canned artichoke hearts: 8 to 16 ounces (1/2 to 1 lb) finely chopped
ONE of these dairy products
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 to 1 pound cream cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup grated mozzarella (1 to 3 ounces)
- 1/4 to 1 lb Brie cheese
- 1/4 to 1 cup light sour cream
Citrus: 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon lemon juice
ONE of these:
- Beans 1/4 to 1 pound white beans, pureed
- Meat 1/4 to 1 pound of crabmeat
- Tomatoes 1 can tomatoes 8 to 16 oz, or fresh tomatoes, chopped
Vegetable one or more
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach
- 1 to 4 scallions finely chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion
Hot stuff: pick one
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh or canned jalapeno chilies
- 1 to 2 serrano chilies finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
Spices: pick 1 to 3 of them
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
Dairy: A few tablespoons of parmesan
- 2 -4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup brine-cured green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest