This is an old idea – put the crust on top. Just about any kind of Alice cracker can be used. You can fill a pie plate with 2 to 3 cups of filling (deep dish), but I prefer to use small glass bowls or wine goblets for each guest with layers of filling, fruit, garnish, and cracker crumbs & nuts.
Filling / Bottom Layer:
- Custard – instant or make your own
- Fruit, sugar, and milk-based fillings, boiled and thickened with flour, cornstarch, or gelatin
- Canned pumpkin, mashed sweet potato or yam, sugar, half-and-half, and holiday spices, and flour heated on the stove-top until thickened
- 12 oz silken tofu, zest and juice of one lemon, ¼ cup sugar
- No bake Cheesecake from non-fat cream cheese and ricotta
- Softened sorbet
- Softened ice cream
Fruit topping layer: Any combination of chopped fresh or frozen fruit, up to half a cup of dried fruit
Garnish layer (optional): one or more of ice cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce.
Reverse Crust layer (top): coarsely pureed or chopped crackers and nuts, put on top just before serving so they don’t go soft.