I’ve spent years improving on this recipe (whole grain biscotti and advanced biscotti), but this is a fine recipe and well worth baking. It’s from an outstanding cookbook called “From Pantry to Table. Creative cooking from the well-stocked kitchen” by Marlena Spieler.
1.5 cups whole almonds 1 tsp baking soda & a pinch of salt
2 cups flour 3 large eggs
1 cups sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bake whole almonds at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, empty into bowl & cool in refrigerator
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt
- Combine eggs and vanilla
- Make a well in dry ingredients, add eggs and vanilla and mix until it forms a dough.
- Chop nuts, add to dough (if a spoon won’t do it, use your hands).
- Let dough sit for 30 to 60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Butter and flour 2 baking sheets
- Form a long, ¾ to 1 ½ inch high, 5-8 inch wide loaf on each baking sheet
- Bake 45-50 minutes
- Remove from cookie sheet onto cutting board with 2 spatulas
- Cut into ½ to ¾ inch wide slices
Put back on baking sheet and cook 35-50 minutes more, depending on how crunchy you like them. Store in a paper bag.